POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My desert WIP Take 2 [~88kB] : Re: My desert WIP Take 2 [~88kB] Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:27:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My desert WIP Take 2 [~88kB]
From: Doug Kavendek
Date: 6 Aug 2004 11:37:12
Message: <4113a5a8$1@news.povray.org>
I haven't posted here much, so I figure I'll take this chance to.

It looks really good!  I like the fading of the sky to th ground, and the
texture of the rocks.  The cactus is also very nicely done, and I do like
those hard shadows.

However, I'm confused by the lighting - the sky gets brighter to the right,
but the shadows indicate that the light source is from the left of the scene
(maybe this is a natural phenomenon of the coloring of the sky, but it seems
unnatural to me).  It also doesn't appear too "hot" somehow, as if it's
either an overcast day (which the sky doesn't show), or that the sun is
about to go down (which I guess makes sense, given the angle of the shadows,
so nevermind that comment  :P ).

Also, to be nitpicky, the top of the closer cactus seems to make the same
little twist as the one in the middle, which almost makes it look like
they're just two copies of the same one.  This isn't the case, on closer
inspection, but the first impression is that they're the same.  Maybe if the
bottom one twisted a little in the other direction at the top, it'd be more
obvious.

But still, a fine image, I like it.